About Glaucoma Australia
Incorporated in 1988 as The Glaucoma Foundation, its name changed in 1999 to Glaucoma Australia Inc.
Today Glaucoma Australia is the peak glaucoma awareness/education/support association in Australia. It is a registered, national, not-for-profit organisation.
Glaucoma Australia’s mission is “To eliminate glaucoma blindness”.
Its aims are:
- to increase community awareness that glaucoma is a potentially blinding eye disease and to stress the importance of regular optic nerve checks;
- to provide information and support for glaucoma patients and their families, reinforcing advice and explanations given by eye practitioners and improving adherence to therapy;
- to raise funds for Australian glaucoma research;
- to support eye and other health providers, to maximise patient health outcomes;
- to advocate on behalf of the glaucoma community.
Its services include:
- supporting those with glaucoma, their family and carers;
- public seminars, community group talks and glaucoma support groups, throughout Australia
- dissemination of literature/information on glaucoma and related topics including a range of information brochures in 8 languages other than English;
- production and distribution of a newsletter “Glaucoma News”;
- World Glaucoma Week and other awareness campaigns
Willing volunteers assist in much of its work.
|Mr Ron Spithill
A/Prof Ivan Goldberg
Ms Meredith Brooks
Mr Daniel Goldberg
Mr Phil Tully
Dr Guy D'Mellow
Mr Tony Gibson